Iron & Earth has collaborated with a few partners and is embarking on our most ambitious project to date!
It’s called RenuWell and we are exploring the potential to use inactive oil and gas infrastructure as a foundation for renewable energy development.
This is a win-win-win-win-win kind of project. That’s a lot of wins, so let me explain:
- We are helping solve the problem of farmers being stranded with orphaned wells on their farms.
- We are utilizing land that has already been disturbed, saving critical farmland for what it should be used for - farming!
- We are utilizing existing infrastructure such as roads and powerlines that were put in place for the original oil well production.
- We are looking into selling power directly to farmers so they can save money on their irrigation costs.
- We are looking at utilizing the same crews capping the oil wells, for installing the basic solar infrastructure. This will help fossil fuel industry workers diversify into renewable energy jobs.
Our entire RenuWell project team is coming to Taber, Alberta to host a Shop Talk Night on April 29th at the Oilmen’s Club Taphouse and Grill from 7-10pm.
Each of the primary RenuWell team members will be present and we will be hosting a panel discussion as well as a Q+A to take questions from community members and also to open up opportunities for collaboration.
If you live in the area, we hope to see you there. If you know someone that lives in the area, please forward the link to this page to RSVP!
This work is being with done with guidance from the Alberta Energy Regulator, in partnership with the Municipal District of Taber and with support from the Orphan Well Association. Funding for development work this year has been provided by the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre.