ABOUT IRON & EARTH
Who we are & where we come from: Iron & Earth is a non-profit organization with roots in the fossil fuel industry.
What we do: We create pathways to opportunities in the net-zero economy for fossil fuel workers, Indigenous Peoples, and their communities.
How we do it: Our programs lower barriers to building community-led climate solutions for a sustainable future through engagement, training programs, infrastructure projects, and career platforms.
Where Iron & Earth meet: We have not forgotten who we are, and our new vision sets our sights on who we want to be.
Our team welcomes Indigenous Peoples, racialized persons, people with diverse abilities, genders and sexualities, as well as, individuals with fossil fuel industry experience.
Since 2021, under our current Executive Director, Iron & Earth undergoes cultural safety and anti-racist training yearly, and the organization has diversified to have Indigenous, LGBTQ2S+, and racialized staff. The Board of Directors consist of 40% Indigenous and 40% women. Our mandate now centers the most vulnerable to build relationships with those who tend to be left out of mainstream narratives. We now see local initiatives as a gathering of individuals seeking their own social transformation, moving beyond our previous Chapter model. We understand that this work is ongoing, which is why we are developing our internal policies and procedures, and our hiring practices with a decolonial and anti-racist lens, as well as make the cultural safety and anti-racist training a yearly event. We are always learning and unlearning practices that minimize harm and lead to the development of trust between our workers and the community.
ABOUT THE JOB
Iron & Earth is seeking a Community Engagement Officer to represent the interests of their community, collaborate in the development of local community engagement, and attend relevant community events. While the position is fully remote, the Community Engagement Officer must be based locally, as they are the first point of contact in developing local relationships with relevant stakeholders, conducting on-the-ground outreach, and identifying emergent issues and opportunities in the community. This position involves working as an in-person event coordinator during I&E community sessions. They will be responsible for leading facilitators and participants, ensuring that the event runs smoothly, and being the main I&E representative during the event.
We are seeking to hire 4 individuals, with one position available from Ermineskin, Louis-Bull, Montana, and Samson First Nations
- Assist in community and stakeholder mapping for community events including community outreach efforts such as email, phone calls and in persons/virtual meetings
- Attend and act as a in-person event coordinator during I&E community sessions including leadership and facilitation of breakout groups
- Provide context for your local community and act as a community representative for the work Iron & Earth completes in the community.
- Represent the interests of Iron & Earth on behalf of workers, communities and indigenous people in interactions with local policymakers and municipal governments.
- Support event logistics in their communities
- Collaborate with the Communities Pathways team including assisting the Community Sustainability Manager and Community Engagement Coordinator in the development of local community engagement.
- Be passionate about talking with community members and fossil fuel workers
- Interested in building relationships within the community
- Comfortable on the topics of extreme weather events and income insecurity
- Access to stable internet
- Located in the designated community the position is posted for
- Previous experience working with the community is an asset
- High school diploma is an asset
- Knowledge of fossil fuel workers and industry is an asset
- Previous supervision and event coordinating experience is an asset
- First Aid and CPR an asset
Compensation and Hours
This is a contract position. 5-10 hours/per week until March 2024. Compensation will be $31 CAD/hour with the possibility of further contracting.
Training is also available.
Iron & Earth is a completely remote organization, however this position includes both remote and in-person work. Work hours should overlap with Mountain and Pacific time zones.
How to apply
If you want to make a change in the world we live in, send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include in your email how you heard about this opportunity. We want to thank you in advance for your interest, however, due to the high number of applicants, only selected candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: September 29th or Until Filled
We believe in everyone. We see the strength in your unique history.
You've read all this way, you may as well apply!