ABOUT THE COMPANY
This company is an employee-owned Certified B Corp, which sees “business as a force for good”.
In 2019 they joined 500 plus other B Corporations to become Net-Zero by 2030. Certified B Corporations are a new kind of business which balance purpose and profit.
They have installed over 2000 (and growing) solar power systems across Canada and have Solar PV (photovoltaic) systems in operation with more than 20 utilities in Canada. Local staff experts in Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, and Penticton serve all of Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Northern Canada.
ABOUT THE JOB
The company is looking for a full-time Junior Electrical Estimator to become part of its solar team in either Calgary (preferred) or Edmonton, AB. This individual will be self-motivated, energetic, personable, and excited to work as part of a fast-growing company in the solar industry. Work will be based throughout Western and Northern Canada with some travel required. A clean driving record is required.
- Work with the company's sales staff to fully understand the opportunity and ensure that the correct design/proposal can be generated.
- Review building plans to determine the electrical requirements of the project.
- Conduct detailed site assessments of the building/location to identify key attributes and constraints.
- Complete detailed solar PV system designs, including inverter stringing.
- Detailed quantity take-offs of all materials and labour.
- Calculate job profitability.
- Work with product suppliers and/or with the company's dedicated procurement staff to capture up-to-date unit pricing for materials and equipment.
- Prepare and submit project bids and proposals (including managing tenders) with strict timelines.
- Participate in quote reviews with other engineering and/or sales staff to ensure the design meets all Code and non-Code related requirements and nothing has been missed.
- 1+ years experience in a similar type role and/or tech diploma or degree in Electrical, Engineering Tech, or related.
- Minimum one year of commercial electrical estimating or construction experience (preferred) .
- Excellent knowledge of electrical materials.
- Must have extensive experience working with spreadsheets (Excel, Google Sheets).
- Must have experience with electrical estimating software (e.g. Accubid, etc.).
- The ability to work with industry software such as CAD, SketchUp, and PVSyst would be an asset.
- A growth mindset and ability/desire to learn
- Business focused thinking with an owner’s mindset - this is a must.
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Advanced numerical skills.
- Proven organizational skills including exceptional attention to detail.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
THIS IS A TRAINING POSITION
This position is posted by Iron and Earth. Your interest in this position would involve participating in the Net-Zero Pathways (NZP) Program, if eligible.
The Net-Zero Pathways Program will enable self-identified and engaged Indigenous and fossil fuel workers and their communities to diversify their skills into a net-zero sector. NZP is a 7-week program that provides one-on-one case management, employability soft skills teachings, and engagement with employers to recruit and hire skilled workers seeking reliable employment opportunities.
Week 1: Employability skills training and overview of renewable energy sector. NZP is a fully paid 5-day (including wrap-around financial assistance) employability and employer-based workshop with an overview of the opportunities in the renewable energy sector.
Weeks 2-7: Hands-on job training. We will assist in placing you in a paid on-the-job training for 6 weeks with an employer in the renewable energy industry.
HOW TO APPLY
We believe in everyone. We see the strength in your unique history.
You've read all this way, you may as well apply!
This project is funded in part by the Government of Canada's Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program.