ABOUT IRON & EARTH
Iron & Earth is a worker-led, non-profit organization that was formed around the lunchroom tables of the oilsands during an oil price crash which resulted in over 100,000 oilpatch employees losing their jobs between 2015 and 2017. We realized that our skills were transferable to the renewable energy industry and recognized the urgency of diversifying into these technologies.
Our team welcomes Indigenous Peoples, racialized persons, people with diverse abilities, genders and sexualities, as well as, individuals with fossil fuel industry experience.
Since 2021, under our current Executive Director, Iron & Earth has undergone cultural safety and anti-racist training in the fall of 2021, and the organization has diversified to have Indigenous, LGBTQ2S+, and racialized staff. The Board of Directors consist of 40% Indigenous and 40% women. Staff numbers increased from a core team of 6 to 22 persons. Our mandate now centers the most vulnerable to build relationships with those who tend to be left out of mainstream narratives. We now see local initiatives as a gathering of individuals seeking their own social transformation, moving beyond our previous Chapter model. We understand that this work is ongoing, which is why we are developing our internal policies and procedures, and our hiring practices with a decolonial and anti-racist lens, as well as make the cultural safety and anti-racist training a yearly event. We are always learning and unlearning practices that minimize harm and lead to the development of trust between our workers and the community.
ABOUT THE JOB
We truly believe that a Just Transition is one led be Indigenous Peoples and their Teachings. With this in mind, we want to develop a research project that will result in a report that presents a pathway to Just Transition that is built from the ground up, rooted Indigenous Knowledge, local voices, barriers to access, and social justice. YOU will lead the development of this project and build your own team while having the freedom to envision and develop this process utilizing Indigenous Ways of Knowing and methods, and western methods if desired.
- Design and develop the research process;
- Create the team needed for the research;
- Define the research methods;
- Plan the timing of the research;
- Analyze existing and relevant data that is available;
- Collect new data and needed information;
- Conduct the research;
- Conclude the research and create the final report.
The ideal candidate will:
- Self-Identify as Indigenous (Recognizing the impacts of colonization on Indigenous Peoples, it is the applicant’s choice whether to volunteer information. We will hold the application in strictest confidence, sharing it only with the hiring panel);
- Bring extensive understanding of Indigenous Knowledge;
- Have previous experience in Indigenous research methods;
- Having experience in the Climate and Just Transition fields is an asset.
- If you are a graduate student and you are interested in doing this as your research, you are more than welcome to apply - Iron & Earth will fully fund your research!
- Potential Indigenous Peoples as Subject Matter Experts and/or advisor(s) available for project creation and throughout project execution.
Compensation and hours
This can be a full-time or part-time position, with a minimum of 20 hours per week. Compensation is commensurate with experience. A full time position can range between $60,000CAD - $70,000CAD/year depending on experience. Iron & Earth also offers to its full time employees extended benefits and paid time off.
Anywhere in Canada, as we are a completely remote organization. Work hours should overlap with Eastern time zone.
How to apply
If you want to make a change in the world we live in, send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include in the subject of your email the role that you are applying for and make sure you include in your email how you heard about this opportunity. We want to thank you in advance for your interest, however, due to the high number of applicants, only selected candidates will be contacted.