ABOUT IRON & EARTH
Who we are & where we come from:
Iron & Earth is a non-profit organization with roots in the fossil fuel industry.
What we do:
We create pathways to opportunities in the net-zero economy for fossil fuel workers, Indigenous Peoples, and their communities.
How we do it:
Our programs lower barriers to building community-led climate solutions for a sustainable future through engagement, training programs, infrastructure projects, and career platforms.
Where Iron & Earth meet:
We have not forgotten who we are, and our new vision sets our sights on who we want to be.
Our team welcomes Indigenous Peoples, racialized persons, people with diverse abilities, genders and sexualities, as well as individuals with fossil fuel industry experience. We truly value every individual and are constantly taking steps to accommodate all individuals in our workplace.
ABOUT THE JOB
As Iron & Earth’s Finance Director, you will oversee and lead all matters of financial operations, including financial analysis, operating and capital controls, fundraising forecasts and financial reporting. Flexibility and quick adaptation to the organization’s needs are essential to this position and previous experience in a non-profit or charity is required.
- Plan, organize, manage and evaluate the operation of both the Finance and Fund Development departments;
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies for all Provinces (Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland)
- Develop multi-year funding strategy;
- Identify and assess the greatest needs and funding gaps, and appropriately allocate funds, with a view to reviewing and potentially adjusting previous allocations as new funds are brought into the organization;
- Develop predicted and budgeted cash flows for both finance and fundraising;
- Create financial reports including monthly cash flows, ongoing fund allocation reports, board reports, and other ad hoc reports for Senior Management and the Board of Directors
- Coordinate and develop annual budgets and forecasts for operations and fundraising other budget related reports;
- Responsible for financial compliance (including tax and financial reporting) and all reports requested by our donors and grants;
- Develop and manage internal financial controls and policies,
- Ensures that all of the operating needs and project commitments are securely funded with the view of safeguarding the organization’s assets;
- Notify and report to senior management concerning any trends that are critical to the organization's financial performance as part of the regular reporting;
- Coordinate and lead the annual financial audit;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive financial information, employee information and payroll records;
- A bachelor's degree in business administration, economics, commerce or a related field is required;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in working for the non-profit or charitable sector is required;
- CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) certification or working towards certification is required;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting, auditing, budgeting, financial planning and analysis or other financial activities are required;
- Solid understanding of Not-For-Profit accounting standards and GAAP;
- Strong communication skills needed to liaise with internal colleagues, project managers, contractors and funders;
- Ability to administer and manage financial and payroll systems; experience in QuickBooks Online is an asset.
Compensation and Hours
This is a part-time position. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Anywhere in Canada, as we are a completely remote organization. Work hours should overlap with the Eastern time zone.
How to apply
If you want to make a change in the world we live in, send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please include in your email how you heard about this opportunity. We want to thank you in advance for your interest, however, due to the high number of applicants, only selected candidates will be contacted.
We believe in everyone. We see the strength in your unique history.
You've read all this way, you may as well apply!