ABOUT THE COMPANY
This employer believes that renewable energy is the future, and are proud to have a passionate team focused on creating positive change in the world through innovation, commitment to quality, and high customer satisfaction.
Joining the team means you will be on the cusp of one of the most innovative fields, with an organization focused on development and recognition of its staff. Solar experience is not required!
The company is committed to empowering teams by creating an environment where everyone, from all backgrounds can succeed. We believe that diversity drives innovation and in building a culture where differences are valued and celebrated.
ABOUT THE JOB
Reporting to the Electrical Foreman, the Apprentice Electrician will work with the supervision of a Journeyperson Electrician/Electrical Foreman and in conjunction with a Project Manager to effectively support the electrical requirements of solar installations.
- Assist crew journeyperson electrician with PV system wiring.
- Assemble solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified by system designers.
- Assemble equipment according to manufacturer’s specifications to ensure building/structural envelope integrity is maintained.
- Work closely with crew to ensure compliance with system design and necessary codes.
- Ensure all materials, tools and workspaces are clean and organized.
- Additional duties required as needed
- Under supervision of the Journeyman Electrician or Electrical Foreman the apprentice, until fully certified, will develop their skill to:
- Read and interprets drawings, blueprints, schematics and electrical code specifications to determine layout of electrical equipment installations.
- Test electrical and electronic equipment and components for continuity, current, voltage and resistance.
- Install, examine, replace or repair AC/DC Motors and Drives, PLC's, 480V power, 120V control circuits, inverters, transformers, motors, starters, relays and hydraulic and pneumatic electrical controls.
- Install, examine, replace, or repair electrical wiring, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, and other electrical components.
- Size and install electrical circuits including panels, wire size and type, conduit, protective devices, switches, and related equipment needed to comply with the CEC and/or NEC.
- Fabricate, install and/or run conduit, 3-Phase work, motor terminations, control and instrument troubleshooting and panel work.
- Committed to safe work practices in accordance with miEnergy Safety procedures and policies
This position is physically and mentally demanding, involving exposure to all elements of outdoor work, ability to lift up to 60lbs, work at heights, lead electrical installation and timelines to ensure compliant delivery of projects.
- Proven safety attitude and excellent attendance history
- Must have applicable safety tickets (i.e. CSTS,WHMIS)
- Must be a registered apprentice.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and have reliable transportation
- Must possess or be willing to acquire all tools related to the trade.
- Previous solar installation experience is preferred but not required.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a demanding environment
- Ability to take direction and follow instructions
- Must have a strong work ethic, focus and accountability to meeting metrics.
- Able to work effectively in teams as well as independently
Medicine Hat and Stavley, Alberta
THIS IS A TRAINING POSITION
This position is posted by Iron & Earth. Your interest in this position would involve participating in the Net-Zero Pathways (NZP) Program, if eligible.
The Net-Zero Pathways Program will enable self-identified and engaged Indigenous and fossil fuel workers and their communities to diversify their skills into a net-zero sector. NZP is a 7-week program that provides one-on-one case management, employability soft skills teachings, and engagement with employers to recruit and hire skilled workers seeking reliable employment opportunities.
Week 1: Employability skills training and overview of renewable energy sector. NZP is a fully paid 5-day (including wrap-around financial assistance) employability and employer-based workshop with an overview of the opportunities in the renewable energy sector.
Weeks 2-7: Hands-on training. We will assist in placing you in paid on-the-job training for 6 weeks with an employer in the renewable energy industry.
HOW TO APPLY
Iron & Earth sees the strength in your unique history.
You've read all this way, you may as well apply!
This project is funded in part by the Government of Canada's Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program