CEO, IRON & EARTH INDUSTRIES JOB POSTING
Date posted: January 12, 2021
Closing date: February 14, 2021. Applicant intake is ongoing until position is filled.
Job type: Permanent full-time staff position
Start date: April/May or earlier if possible. A later start date could also be negotiated.
Base salary: $90,000 - $100,000 annually
Benefits: Benefits package available after three months
Location: Remote with some travel expectations post-Covid
ABOUT IRON & EARTH and IRON & EARTH INDUSTRIES
Iron & Earth formed around the lunchroom tables of the Canadian oilsands during an oil price crash which resulted in over 100,000 oilpatch employees losing their jobs between 2015 and 2017. We realized that our trade skills were transferable to the renewable energy industry and recognized the urgency of diversifying into these technologies. So, in Spring 2016 we launched Iron & Earth to create a better future for ourselves, our coworkers, and the planet. Since then, we have built a base of nearly 1000 fossil fuel industry worker members and have carried out a wide range of innovative initiatives.
Our overarching intention is to help create an environmentally and socially prosperous planet. Our vision is that fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers will play a leading role in building the policy and infrastructure required to reach global climate targets. Our top-level goal is to help ensure a prosperous transition towards global carbon neutrality by 2050. Our mission is to empower fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers to build and implement climate solutions.
We carry out our unique purpose through our regional chapters, national advocacy campaigns, upskilling programs, climate mitigation projects, technology platforms and community-building events.
Iron & Earth will continue to fulfill our mission by launching a complimentary training company, Iron & Earth Industries. Canada’s energy mix is changing rapidly and Iron & Earth Industries plans to be at the forefront of a new wave of training for workers to power the new economy. We offer training and career support for fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers in rural and remote communities. The training company will operate as a social enterprise, with profits going to support Iron & Earth’s vital work.
We have already developed our first four training programs: two in solar, one in wind energy, and one on transforming inactive wells into solar projects. The courses are designed for in-person, hands-on learning and are grounded in Indigenous ways of knowing and learning.
ABOUT THE JOB
We are hiring a founding CEO to lead our new startup social enterprise, Iron & Earth Industries, a worker-driven climate careers training company. All profits from Industries will be invested in Iron & Earth’s nonprofit activities.
The CEO’s core mission will be to launch Iron & Earth Industries as a social enterprise capable of scaling our training programs and services. The top-level-goals for the CEO are to help ensure Iron & Earth supports the thousands of industry and Indigenous workers who are ready for climate careers and generates resources to support Iron & Earth’s nonprofit activities.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join a team at the ground level of building a social enterprise poised to make a tangible contribution to getting workers into the over one million climate jobs that the net-zero economy will require.
The CEO provides oversight, overall management, planning, vision and leadership for Iron & Earth Industry’s work including strategy, finance, resource development, human resources, constituency and stakeholder engagement, communications, and board development. The CEO employs an empowering approach when collaborating with team members to nurture an environment of shared responsibility and accountability.
Additional CEO responsibilities:
- Develop and implement inspired strategies to launch a successful social enterprise
- Build a strong team of employees, advisors and peer organizations to support Industries to grow during the start-up phase
- Oversee the development of training programs and services that will support fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers to diversify into climate careers
- Secure investment to ensure the scalability of the social enterprise
- Secure new clients and partnership opportunities
- Support a network of training program instructors
- Work alongside the new Iron & Earth Executive Director to ensure alignment between Iron & Earth Industries and the existing initiatives at Iron & Earth
- Work with our Director of Innovation & Energy Policy to carry out the RenuWell project, which will include completing a pilot project to utilize brownfield sites for solar energy projects (multi-stakeholder initiative)
- Support our National Chapter Director to strengthen and expand Iron & Earth chapters across the country and eventually internationally
- Act as the primary spokesperson for Iron & Earth Industries
- Engage with decision-makers and elected officials to advocate for Iron & Earth’s policy priorities
Iron & Earth is also currently hiring a new Executive Director to take Iron & Earth’s not-for-profit activities to new heights. The relationship between the CEO and Executive Director positions will be horizontal, as they will each be responsible for unique organizational entities.
REQUIRED APPLICANT QUALITIES
- 5+ years of experience in the fossil fuel industry (oil, natural gas or coal), whether it be a white or blue-collar background
- 1+ year of demonstrated commitment to building and implementing climate solutions
- 5+ years of senior leadership experience
- Demonstrated capabilities and actions that equip you to lead a social enterprise training company
- Experience in a start-up strongly preferred
Demonstrated ability to
- Design and lead innovative initiatives to solve complex problems
- Lead teams and foster growth in team members
- Secure funding and manage finances for major initiatives
- Communicate effectively and powerfully
- Carry out the mission, objectives, and activities of Iron & Earth Industries
- Thrive in a remote work environment
- Develop profitable strategies and implement organizational vision
Vision and values
- A transformative vision for the transitional role of fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers in building the net-zero economy
- Personal values aligned with the mission, goals and philosophy of our organization
- A dedication to Indigenous wellbeing, reconciliation, and decolonization
- Enthusiasm about contributing to a work environment that is committed to the ongoing process of taking decolonial and anti-racist approaches to our work
You have a deep understanding of
- The energy industry and political landscape in Canada
- Issues related to Indigenous rights and title and the impacts of the energy sector on the culture, territories, and economies of Indigenous communities
- The importance of worker and community organizing during the current energy transition
- The funding landscape across Canada
- Corporate governance and general management best practices
- Corporate finance and performance management principles
- Diverse business functions such as marketing, PR, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
If you meet the requirements, please:
- Email your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to [email protected] with the email subject “CEO position”
- In your cover letter, please tell us about how your experience in the fossil fuel industry inspires you to support workers to build and implement climate solutions. Please also describe the skills and experience you would bring to the mission, objectives, and activities of this position.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis, and therefore early applications are encouraged.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in our organization and for taking the time to apply; however, only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
We recognize that the new economy must be grounded in a recognition of Indigenous peoples’ right to be self-determining over their lands and resources, in accordance with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and strive to contribute to building a new economy that reflects this principle. We especially encourage and welcome Indigenous candidates to apply for this role.
Thank you for your interest!