Application deadline: Midnight, February 23, 2020
Job type: Part-time contract
Start date: March 4, 2020
Contract timeline: 12 months
Compensation: $20-30/hr between 2-4 hrs/week (Approximately $3-6k compensation for the year-long contract - negotiable depending on experience and responsibility)
Location: Preferably based out of Edmonton, Calgary or Victoria. Canadian applicants preferred. International applicants considered.
We are hiring a part-time bookkeeper with non-profit experience! By joining our team at Iron & Earth as our part-time bookkeeper, you’d be making a difference in the lives of fossil fuel sector workers, contributing to renewable energy opportunities for Indigenous communities, and helping transform the Canadian energy industry. We look forward to your application!
ABOUT IRON & EARTH
Iron & Earth formed around the lunchroom tables of the oilsands during an oil price crash which resulted in over 100,000 oilpatch employees losing their jobs between 2015 and 2017. We realized that our trade skills were transferable to the renewable energy industry and recognized the urgency of diversifying into these technologies. Beyond the financial benefits, we were excited about the opportunity to help build a more sustainable energy industry. So, in Spring 2016 we launched Iron & Earth to create a better future for ourselves, our coworkers, and the planet. Since then we have built a membership of over 800 fossil fuel industry workers passionate about our vision.
Our top-level goal is to help ensure a prosperous transition towards global carbon neutrality by 2050. Our mission in pursuit of this goal is to empower fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers to build a sustainable energy economy. Our vision is that fossil fuel industry and Indigenous workers will play a leading role in building the energy infrastructure required to reach global climate targets.
We are a federally incorporated nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. We do not currently have charitable status but may apply for charitable status in 2020.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The primary deliverables of the person in this position are to ensure:
- Payments are made on time
- Financials are kept organized and prepared for audits
- Monthly financials are reconciled
- Cashflow projections are kept up to date
- Quarterly financial reports are prepared for board meetings
- Year-end financials are prepared
- Financial reports are created when required for grant reporting
- All legal financial obligations are met, including all reporting requirements relating to having charitable status (if our organization receives charitable status)
- Financial management is required for headquarters as well as for our projects and chapters which each have unique reporting requirements
- Iron & Earth may be applying for charitable status and therefore the bookkeeper must have experience working with organizations with charitable status
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED APPLICANT QUALITIES
- Ability to carry out the deliverables included above
- Personal values that are aligned with our organization’s mission and objectives
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills and technically oriented
- 5+ years of bookkeeping experience in the non-profit sector
- Fluent in Quickbooks, Microsoft Suite and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets etc)
Additional skills and experience preferred
- Should have an associates degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, as well as knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles
- Experience in the fossil fuel industry or a connection to Indigenous communities
If you are interested in this position and meet the requirements, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight MT on February 23, 2020.
All applicants will receive correspondence as to whether they have been successful in reaching the interview stage which will be held between February 28 - March 3, 2020.
After the interview stage is completed, all applicants will receive correspondence as to whether they were hired.
Onboarding will begin March 4, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.